Mrs Cliona Howell organised a most interesting tour of The Charterhouse for twenty-seven members and guests on 11th July 2019.
Many of the 14th Century buildings have been reconstructed, as this Carthusian Monastery was suppressed in 1538. Thomas Sutton founded the charity in 1611 to house poor people and form an almshouse together with a school for poor boys. Today the premises house older single people, known as brothers. The school moved to Godalming in 1872 and is well known.
We were privileged to have Mass celebrated in the historic Chapel by Canon Richard Hearn, Dean of St Georges Cathedral, Southwark. He pointed out that the Chapel has been a place of prayer since the 14th Century and spoke of the Carthusians and also St Benedict, whose feast it was that day.