6th July 2016 – Visit to the Church of St Etheldreda

Thirty-five members and their guests enjoyed an enjoyable and informative day in beautiful weather. The Outing included a walking tour of the surrounding Hatton Garden area, mass at the church and lunch at the famous Bleeding Heart Tavern.

Visit to St Etheldreda
Visit to St Etheldreda

Of particular interest was one of the remarkable stained glass windows at St Etheldreda’s, built in the 1950s to replace those destroyed in the Second World War.  This window, donated by the governments of France, Germany, Italy and Spain, depicts John Houghton, Prior of nearby Charterhouse, and four other religious who were martyred together at Tyburn in 1535.

Tyburn Martyrs
Tyburn Martyrs

Especial thanks go to Mary Goodwin for her usual expert organisation of a terrific event.